Considered one of the most iconic and influential double albums in rock history, Prince's 1999 was released at a major turning point in the artist's career. After years of being relegated to the R&B charts, he experienced his first true crossover moment with the mega-hits ''Little Red Corvette,'' ''1999,'' and ''Delirious,'' shattering barriers with his revolutionary blend of rock, funk, R&B and new wave pop, and making history by being one of the first black artists to have their videos in heavy rotation on MTV.
The songs included on 1999 were just a small sampling of the work that was pouring out of Prince in the intensely prolific period of 1981 and 1982. In addition to his own material, he was also working up tracks that he would give to his prot?g?s Vanity 6 and The Time, and recording dozens of songs that would be stored for possible later use, archiving them in his growing vault of unreleased material.
This November 29, The Prince Estate, in partnership with Warner Records, will reissue 1999 via all physical, digital and streaming partners, with the timeless album remastered for the very first time, along with 35 previously unreleased tracks from Prince's legendary vault that showcase the creative flow Prince had tapped into during this era.
The reissue suite will be comprised of the following formats:
* Super Deluxe Edition (5CD+DVD / 10LP+DVD / audio-only and streaming)
* Deluxe Edition (2CD / 4LP 180g vinyl / and streaming)
* Remastered album (1CD / 2LP 180g Purple Vinyl / and streaming)
The 1999 Super Deluxe Edition represents the deepest dive to date into Prince's vault and includes a total of 65 audio tracks across five CDs and ten 180g vinyl records.
The Super Deluxe Edition brings fans all the audio material that Prince officially released in and around 1982, as well as 23 previously unissued studio tracks recorded between November 1981 and January 1983, and a complete live audio performance of the 1999 tour recorded at the late show (the second of two that day) in Detroit, MI on November 30, 1982.
In addition, both CD and vinyl sets also boast a brand-new DVD containing another complete, previously unreleased concert from the 1999 tour, recorded in multi-cam live at the Houston Summit on December 29, 1982.
The Super Deluxe Edition set also features Prince's previously unseen handwritten lyrics for several songs from the era, including the hit ''Little Red Corvette,'' plus images of the analog tape reels from the vault and rare photography from Prince's early '80s photographer, Allen Beaulieu. The Super Deluxe Edition is completed with brand-new liner notes by longtime Rolling Stone critic David Fricke, revered Guns N' Roses bassist and author Duff McKagan, Minneapolis historian and radio host Andrea Swensson, and Prince scholar Duane Tudahl.
Fricke notes, ''A landmark collection of vision, craft, and urgency - an unprecedented immersion in the frenetic momentum and private working world of Prince in 1981 and 1982, en route to the profound breakthrough of his fifth studio album, 1999.''
The 1999 Super Deluxe Edition shines a forensic light on the creative output of this truly unique musician, songwriter, producer, and performer at a pivotal point in his career and demonstrates why his unsurpassed body of work continues to generate so much love and passion around the world.
''I didn't want to do a double album, but I just kept writing... I always compare songwriting to a girl walking in the door. You don't know what she's going to look like, but all of a sudden she's there.'' - Prince, November 1982
LP 1&2: Remastered Album
2. Little Red Corvette
4. Let's Pretend We're Married
7. Something In The Water (Does Not Compute)
9. Lady Cab Driver
10. All The Critics Love U In New York
11. International Lover
LP 3&4: Promo Mixes & B-Sides
1. 1999 (7'' stereo edit)
2. 1999 (7'' mono promo-only edit)
3. Free (promo-only edit)
4. How Come You Don't Call Me Anymore (''1999'' b-side)
5. Little Red Corvette (7'' edit)
6. All The Critics Love U In New York (7'' edit)
7. Lady Cab Driver (7'' edit)
8. Little Red Corvette (Dance Remix promo-only edit)
9. Little Red Corvette (Special Dance Mix)
10. Delirious (7'' edit)
11. Horny Toad (''Delirious'' b-side)
12. Automatic (7'' edit)
13. Automatic (video version)
14. Let's Pretend We're Married (7'' edit)
15. Let's Pretend We're Married (7'' mono promo-only edit)
16. Irresistible Bitch (''Let's Pretend We're Married'' b-side)
17. Let's Pretend We're Married (video version)
18. D.M.S.R. (edit)
LP 5&6: Vault, Part 1.
1. Feel U Up
2. Irresistible Bitch
3. Money Don't Grow On Trees
6. Bold Generation
8. International Lover (Take 1, live in studio)
9. Turn It Up
10. You're All I Want
11. Something In The Water (Does Not Compute) (Original Version)
12. If It'll Make U Happy
13. How Come U Don't Call Me Anymore? (Take 2, live in studio)
All tracks previously unreleased
LP 7&8: Vault, Part 2.
1. Possessed (1982 version)
2. Delirious (full length)
3. Purple Music
4. Yah, You Know
5. Moonbeam Levels **
6. No Call U
7. Can't Stop This Feeling I Got
8. Do Yourself A Favor
9. Don't Let Him Fool Ya
10. Teacher, Teacher
11. Lady Cab Driver / I Wanna Be Your Lover / Head / Little Red Corvette (tour demo)
All tracks previously unreleased except **, released on the 2016 compilation, 4Ever
LP 9&10: Live In Detroit - November 30, 1982 (midnight show)
2. Let's Work
3. Little Red Corvette
4. Do Me, Baby
8. How Come U Don't Call Me Anymore?
10. International Lover
All tracks previously unreleased.
DVD: Live In Houston - December 29, 1982 *
2. Let's Work
3. Do Me, Baby
5. Interlude - piano improvisation (contains elements of ''With You'')
6. How Come U Don't Call Me Anymore?
7. Lady Cab Driver
9. International Lover
11. Head (contains elements of ''Sexuality'')
All tracks previously unreleased
* N.B. video content is exclusive to the physical DVD and will not appear on digital or streaming versions of the Super Deluxe Edition set.
DON'T JUST LISTEN TO MUSIC EXPERIENCE IT.