Record Store Day exclusive limited to 1,000 LPs for North America
* 180gm SOLID ORANGE WITH WHITE SWIRL WAX FOR NORTH AMERICAN STORES
* Embossed Death Waltz House sleeve with Obi strip
* Remastered from the original tapes
* Features a giant fold out poster and a 12 x 12 lithograph of exclusive original art
* Includes the chance to win either six months or a years supply of Death Waltz Releases vis a Willy Wonka Golden Ticket
Death Waltz Recording Company is proud to present another masterpiece from Italy, with Nicola Piovani's gorgeous score to Francesco Barilli's highly-regarded psychological horror IL PROFUMO DELLA SIGNORA IN NERO (a.k.a. THE PERFUME OF THE LADY IN BLACK). The tale of a successful career woman who suffers a downward spiral into a treacherous mental breakdown, the film has been favourably compared in some quarters to Roman Polanski's REPULSION, thanks to a star turn from leading lady Mimsy Farmer and Piovani's beautiful yet unnerving music. The score is perhaps less telegraphing than you might expect - at least initially - with the core being a stunning melody that will remain in your head for months.
First performed in a classical style, the theme is reprised in many stylistic variations throughout the score, from a straightforward rendition that seems almost naively innocent, to lush pastoral reprisals, and even a big band version. Piovani uses the theme almost as a comfort zone, a false sense of security, before jarring the melody with piercing strings and harsh percussion to make you bolt upright. The score is haunting in places, with surreal melodies that almost sound like whalesong and a slow piano piece that perhaps had an influence on John Carpenter's HALLOWEEN. A mesmerising experience, that remains a highlight of Italian film music.
2. IL PROFUMO DELLA SIGNORA IN NERO
4. SILVIA'S NIGHTMARE
7. IL PROFUMO DELLA SIGNORA IN NERO
8. MIMSY END
9. IL PROFUMO DELLA SIGNORA IN NERO
12. SCARING LITTLE GIRL
15. SCARING LITTLE GIRL
17. MIMSY END